Health & Safety
Waste and Environment Management
Effective management of wastes and environmental risks is critical for the reduction of costs and the prevention of harm to humans. In this program, Course Outcomes how to:
- Enhance your leadership and management skills
- Extend those skills into the domain of environmental and waste issues
- Balance the roles of an effective manager and use management systems to control tasks
- Use environmental issues to motivate and coach your people for improved efficiency and performance
- Delegate the workload effectively and efficiently
By the end of this course participants will learn how to:
- Be aware of the principal national and international background issues relating to the environmental management in the oil and gas industry
- Have formed a considered view on the significance of waste management environmental issues for the industry
- Be aware of the effects of the principal relevant environmental legislation and sustainable development policy affecting the industry and how to interpret changing legislation into practical responses
- Have considered the key means by which the industry can begin to enhance performance through environmental efficiency
- Have considered the competitive advantage that might be brought through giving attention to environmental management
- Newly appointed managers, supervisors, and team leaders
- New members of the management team
- Those managers supervisors who have been in their position for less than a year, or are about to be promoted to their first managerial supervisory position
- Health and safety or quality managers with a new portfolio of environmental, sustainable development or waste management
- Environmental advisors or scientists who wish to progress to management level
Health & Safety Outline
The course covers the following topics:
Sustainable business thinking
- How and why do environmental and social issues impact on the industry?
- Why is it important to build waste and environmental issues in the business process?
- What are the driving forces to respond to environmental and social issues?
Legislation, policy, and models for action
- What and how do legislation and global policies affect the industry?
- How do economic instruments affect profitability?
- What are the building blocks of a management system that controls waste and environmental issues?
Tools for the assessment and interpretation of environmental and social performance
- What is the purpose and nature of the initial social and environmental review?
- How is an environmental and social management review conducted?
- How are the significant environmental impacts of the organizations identified?
- How is an environmental audit carried out and how does it differ from a waste audit
Managing waste and energy to improve efficiency
- How are cost savings and improved business efficiency identified and communicated to board members and staff?
- How do I keep track of changing waste management legislation and policy?
- What is the role of energy efficiency management and renewable energy in business management?
- What is the role of improved resource and waste management in achieving a competitive advantage?
- How does the oil and gas industry address some of these issues
Management and reporting systems
- What are the key elements of an environmental management and reporting system?
- How are management systems employed to improve business efficiency, ensure compliance and respond to environmental, social and environmental challenges, and communicate these to stakeholders?
- What are the structure and control mechanisms within management systems?
- How are social, environmental and ethical issues communicated to stakeholders?