Health & Safety
Applied HSE Management
This course is about practicing and applying HSE management for the oil and gas and petrochemical industries. A rich variety of exercises, readings, videos, and case studies are used to support learning in realistic situations. These come together to ‘challenge’ participants in the real-life scenario of a fictional facility.
The course may be taken either independently or in conjunction with the Applied Safety, Applied Health, and Applied Environment courses.
By the end of this course participants will learn how to:
- Successfully apply the principle elements of health, safety and environmental (HSE) management system in a typical organization
- Determine which people in organizations have responsibilities for HSE management and the characteristics of a successful management style
- Understand and use the key tools associated with risk assessment and monitoring, such as risk assessments, safety cases and HSE monitoring tools such as accident investigation
- Shape and improve the safety culture of the organization
HSE Professionals, Operations, Engineers, Supervisors and Project managers and all staff who have the responsibility for designing, implementing, or supporting HSE management. This is a core course for persons in a supervisory role in an operational environment. Some prior knowledge of HSE management related topics is desirable but not essential.
Health & Safety Outline
The course covers the following topics:
- Leadership and Commitment
- Policy and Strategic Objectives
- Legislation and Regulation
- Organization, Responsibilities, and Resources
- Professional Training and Behaviours
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Planning and Procedures
- Contractor Controls
- Emergency Response
- Performance Management
- Incident Reporting and Investigation
- Management Review